The first time I ate this amazing meal was at my friend Barbara’s. She’s from Peru. We had so many amazing things to eat that day…she even made a vegetarian version for me!
I have since re-created it a couple of time and would love to share the magic with you.
- French fries or potatoes cut into friet-sized strips, 4 large potatoes
- Sunflower oil – 2 tablespoons
- Grilled vegetarian meat substitute – 1 package (or ungrilled…it’s up to you)
- Garlic, crushed – 3-4 or to taste
- shallots, julienned – 4-5 depends on size
- red pepper, julienned- 1
- tomatoes, thinly sliced – 4-5 medium
- white vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- soy sauce, 1.5 tablespoons
- red chiles, fresh – 1 or more to taste
- salt + pepper, to taste
- cilantro, fresh, chopped
- Bake frozen friets according to package directions or fry in the pan with very hot oil, remove friets with a slotted spoon and set aside, covered to keep them warm.
- Pour oil in a wok and turn heat on high. Once the oil is very hot add the gegrilde filet and cook until brown. This will only take a minute or two. You don’t want the filets to soak in the oil, but rather to be cooked very fast.
- Remove the filets with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- If necessary, add more oil to pan and heat to very high. Add shallots and garlic, cook to browned/fried.
- Toss in red pepper, chiles and tomatoes and fry until mixture is hot.
- Add filets back to pan.
- Add white vinegar and soy sauce to pan and mix.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top mixture, in the pan, with warmed fries and cilantro. Serve in the pan. Dish out with tongs.