Scrumptious chickpea salad sandwich
* You can partially mash them in a food processor, then finish with a fork. If you use the food processor completely, the chickpeas get too mashed up. But since the food processor was then already used for the peas, I used it to chop the rest of the ingredients. Time saver!
- 475ml cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 1/2 rib celery (finely chopped)
- 30ml red onion (finely chopped)
- 15-30ml mayonnaise (or vegan mayo)
- 15ml oregano (finely chopped (always use fresh if you have it!))
- 5ml parsley (finely chopped)
- 10ml green onions (finely chopped)
- 5ml soy sauce or tamari
- salt + pepper (to taste)
- grated cheese (top with (or use a soy/vegan alternative or none at all))
- lettuce, spinach (top with)
No tuna or chickens were harmed in the preparation or consumption of this sandwich.
I like this in-between two slices of toasted whole wheat bread (or similar healthy bread) or you can use tortillas, pita bread or anything else sandwich-capable.
||In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork*. |
||Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. |
||Spread on fresh buns or toast. |
Top with cheese, lettuce, spinach or whatever suits your fancy.