The Dutch make really, really good ice cream. I had M buy some vanilla bean ice cream and made a raspberry-strawberry coulis to go on top. It was divine!
Here’s how I made it:
- 2 cups of fresh raspberries and strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- juice from 2-4 limes, should be about 1/4 cup
- 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Put berries and about 1 cup of water in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Combine puree, about 1.5 cups water and the sugar in a small saucepan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice and cornstarch until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to berry mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- You can strain the mixture or not – I like the bits, so I don’t strain.
- Cool, cover and chill.
Spoon over vanilla ice cream, other desserts or add to a martini!